Position Title Sr. Development Chemist – Aerospace
Location Greenville SC
To assist the Technical Leader in directing the Chemists and Technicians in the Aerospace and Wood Coatings programs. This process includes developing products, and research and development strategies for customer approval, small batch developments, trial runs, and scale up to full production.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Responsible for staying abreast of technical innovations in the Coating’s industry.
• Provide expertise to R&D personnel in areas of formulation, pigmentation, and vehicle systems.
• Assign individual tasks and responsibilities to specific Development Chemist and Technicians working toward a cohesive team effort.
• Counsel individual group members as needed on specific technical matters.
• Act as liaison between customer and company on matters relating to projects.
• Help and resolve questions and concerns regarding customer needs, production problems, etc., when requested by Sr. Development Chemists.
• Consult as necessary with Technical Leader and V.P. Corporate Development on new materials or issues of major concern to customers.
• Report progress on projects on a weekly basis or as needed.
• Consult Technical Leader on the need for field trips and assign chemists as needed.
• Update individual Sales Representatives and Technical Leader on specific projects.
• Evaluate individual performance and recommend corrective action or commendation to Technical Leader.
• As part of the housekeeping procedures, the employee may be involved with the disposal of hazardous waste. The initial training of how to properly dispose of hazardous waste will be performed by the Environmental and Safety Coordinator or the department supervisor. Annual training of the same will be performed by the Environmental and Safety Coordinator.
• Other duties as assigned.
DESCRIPTION OF NONESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• May be responsible for ISO auditing.
• Reduce or rework distressed products on hand to reduce inventory.
• A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Chemistry.
• Minimum of ten years’ experience in paint, coatings and resin industries.
• Experience in Aerospace industry including formulation of aerospace products.
• A demonstrated technical knowledge of urethane and epoxy chemistry is required.
• Excellent math skills.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willing to work in a team environment.
• Ability to receive and provide instructions in a positive manner.
• Experience with laboratory testing and coating application equipment.